For the Burgers
- 250g Red Split Lentils
- ½ Sweet Potato – Grated
- ½ Courgette – Grated
- 1 Onion – Diced
- 100g Cheddar – Grated
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 650ml Water
- 50g Breadcrumbs (Optional)
For the Salsa
- 4 Tomatoes – Diced
- ¼ Cucumber – Deseeded and Diced
- 1 Small Onion – Finely Diced
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Clove Garlic – Crushed
- Finely Chopped Chilli – to taste
- Fry the Onions, Sweet Potato and Courgette in a little oil, once softened add the Cumin and Smoked Paprika.
- Add the Lentils and cook for 2 minutes to absorb the flavours, add the water and simmer until the lentils are cooked through.
- Add the Cheddar and the Breadcrumbs, if you are using them, stir and remove from the heat until cooled.
- Whilst the mixture is cooling, place all of the Salsa ingredients into a bowl and gently stir until evenly mixed. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste, refrigerate until needed.
- With wet hands, divide the mixture into 12 balls and flatten into a patty, place onto a lined baking tray, place into the oven on 180c/Gas 4 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the Burger into a toasted bun with a spoonful of Salsa and enjoy.