Apple & Plum Strudel with Spiced Orange Syrup
Serves 8 People
- The Strudel
- 6 Eating Apples – Peeled and Diced
- 4 Plums – Stoned and Diced
- 100g Demerara Sugar
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 75g Sultanas
- 75g Chopped Walnuts
- 6 Sheets Filo Pastry
- 100g Butter – Melted
- Spiced Orange Syrup
- 2 Oranges – Zest and Juice
- 1 Orange – Segmented
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Star Anise
- ½ Cinnamon Stick
- In a bowl, mix together Sugar, Ground Almonds, Chopped Walnuts, Cinnamon and Sultanas.
- Add the Diced Plums and Apples and set to one side.
- Brush one sheet of Filo Pastry with the Melted Butter, place another sheet on top and brush with the melted butter. Continue until all 6 sheets are layered on top of each other.
- Place the Fruit mixture along the Pastry, leaving a 1 inch gap from the edge of the pastry.
- Fold the outer edges of the pastry onto the mixture and roll up.
- Place onto a baking tray with Parchment paper and brush the outside of the pastry with any remaining Melted Butter and place in the oven at 180c/350f/Gas Mark 4 for 35 minutes or until completely Golden Brown
- While the Strudel is cooking, place the Orange Zest, Orange Juice, Honey, and Spices into a small saucepan and simmer on a low heat for 8-10 minutes until the juice and reduced by half
- Strain the juices to remove the spices and add the segmented Orange to the Syrup
- Once the Strudel has cooled for 10 minutes on the baking tray, dust with icing sugar and serve